Sunday, May 15, 2011

What is it?

The bird feeder fell down (again) - the string holding it together broke (again). Darned cheap bird feeder!

Speaking however of cheap - or is that "CHEEP"? - when I noticed it was "gone" I leaned over the deck rail to look down to the ground. Lo and behold, there it was, surrounded by several very pretty little birds. Now, I am not a birder - I can identify robins, meadowlarks, crows, redwings, hawks, eagles and sparrows - and of course those annoying grackles - but beyond that I am a bit (more than a bit) hopeless.

So people, help me out here - what ARE these pretty little birds?







I went back with the "big" camera to see if I could get a better shot, and found another similar bird hopping around. Good grief, that must be good bird seed! Anyone able to identify this one?

Both varieties/species are about the same size - bigger than a sparrow but much smaller than a robin...












No comments: